Maxwell The Dog Is Not Well

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fred_G, Apr 30, 2024.

1. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Earlier this month we had the vet remove what we thought was a cyst on my dog Maxwell's throat and a couple of other minor things. He had a post op infection, then some major drainage, all treated. He seemed to be healing nicely. We found several knots on his neck, vet said it was a pretty aggressive cancer. They are going to remove or get a biopsy on one of the tumors, to see what type of cancer it is.

Strangely, the biopsy costs about as much as the surgery... There are several treatment options, depending on the type of cancer. So, we will wait. It could be months or years of life depending.

Having a dog is a race that you lose when you win. The dog has a great life, you get to love and enjoy the dog, then the dog wins, and your heart is ripped out and tossed on the side of the road.

But the dog wins, and I will run the race again.

Max's bed is 3 feet from me now. Just so sad.

2. joffa

joffa Major Geek's Official Birthday Announcer

Jeez Fred so sorry to hear this about Maxwell. We are going through something similar with Shiloh and she will be back at the vet this Friday :(
    All I can say is make these last moments of Maxwell's life a really happy time for him and you can keep these happy memories forever.
    To lose a pet is heartbreaking :(
    Wishing you the best outcome possible in this sad time and sending you some happy thoughts
    Cheers
    joffa :):cool:

Fred_G and Rogue-Buster-RJ like this.
  3. Wenchie

Wenchie I R teh brat

I'm so sorry Fred, that's so hard. Your poor best-boy. I hope his cancer is treatable and you get more time. I wish you all the love and hope in the world, either way it goes.

Fred_G and Rogue-Buster-RJ like this.
  4. Corporal Punishment

Corporal Punishment Administrator Staff Member

Fred_G likes this.
  5. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Absolutely true. I am so sorry. Our 7 year old died from lymphoma in November. It broke my heart. I still cry periodically when I think of things she would do and still expect to see her.
    I am sorry you are going through this, E.
    We just brought home a new baby on Saturday. So the race starts. His name is Ike.

Fred_G likes this.
  6. Goddess Bastet

Goddess Bastet First Sergeant

So sorry about Maxwell. I hope there’s something which can be done.

Fred_G likes this.
  7. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

We took a short vacation, and Max has more lumps on his neck. Not looking good. We will have the biopsy done soon, so we will know if it is something that can be treated to some degree. Max is still be a happy dog, no apparent pain. Hopefully good news from the vet, who knows.

Thanks for the kind words.

8. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Max had one tumor removed and it is off to biopsy. Hopefully we will get some good treatment options.

9. joffa

Sending Maxwell good luck vibes for a good outcome :)
    I hope all goes well Fred :cool:

Fred_G likes this.
  10. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

The cancer spread supper fast, apparently into his lungs. We had him put to sleep this morning.
    RIP
    Maxwell Fredrick Dog
    2012-2024

Appreciate all the kind words.

Attached Files:

11. joffa

Jeez Fred sorry to hear this sad news and sending my condolences :(
    Never an easy decision but you have to do what is best and you couldn't let Maxwell suffer :(
    Stay strong my friend and keep all the happy times in your memory
    Sending best wishes from Australia
    Cheers
    Pete :cool:

Fred_G likes this.
  12. Wenchie

Wenchie I R teh brat

I'm sorry, that must have been very hard.

Fred_G likes this.
  13. Goddess Bastet

Goddess Bastet First Sergeant

So sorry Fred. Pets are family & it can hit hard when they die.

Fred_G likes this.
  14. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I still walk by the door and look to see if he is ready to come inside...

This sucks, but he was in pain, so it had to be done. Max found me, I bet a dog will find me and the wife in the somewhat near future.

Appreciate the kind words.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds