Confused About What To Do

Discussion in 'Software' started by kennie, May 1, 2024.

1. kennie

kennie Private First Class

So I create websites that aren't very good in this modern age, but that's not the point. I use Expressions Web 4. It was last updated in 2012 which means it's 12 years old and counting.

At times when using FTP it won't connect because it has changed so much in the last 12 years that it's clearly out of date.

So my question is, if you were me... Would you stay with EW4 and just get a different FTP program, or would
    you look for a new program all together?

Before you make this all about the website and try and sell me up the river for one reason or another. The coding on it is file, HTML5 / CSS3 compliant, edited/checked it myself. Mobile friendly?... tablets YES, cellphones NO. But it's not easy to code a website that's mobile friendly (without using something like Wordpress etc)

The website serves its purpose for what I want it for, the question isn't about the website but about the program. I've read mixed things about how some people say quit using the program because of it being so old, other people don't care as long as it does the job. But also know that at some point it may stop working all together in Windows 12 etc

2. Maxwell

Maxwell Folgers

Microsoft Expression Web 4 has indeed been around for quite some time, and its last update in 2012 makes it a venerable tool. Given its age it won't nexessarily be compatible with latest operating systems (and therefore chancing application running) or have up to date security patches (and therefore vulnerable). As you've noticed, FTP protocols and security standards have evolved significantly over the past decade. Expression Web 4 might struggle with modern FTP servers due to outdated encryption methods or compatibility issues. Using an older program can expose you to security risks, especially if it doesn't receive updates or patches.

Alternative Programs:
    Download Web Development Tools for Windows - MajorGeeks
    Download FTP & Telnet Tools for Windows - MajorGeeks - suggest using FileZilla or WinSCP

Fred_G likes this.
  3. kennie

kennie Private First Class

@Maxwell - Thanks, that's what I was thinking.

4. Jud149

Jud149 First Sergeant

good deal

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds