Notepad Appears In Task Bar But Not On Desktop

Discussion in 'Software' started by Rogue-Buster-RJ, May 1, 2024.

1. Rogue-Buster-RJ

Rogue-Buster-RJ Private E-2

Hello. It's me again. Problems problems problems.

First the information: Asus M5A97 R2.0 motherboard, 16GB Ram. AMD FX-6100 Processor. AMD ATI Radeon HD 5450 video card, 2 onboard WD 1TB HDD and 1 WD 320GB. Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, Dual monitor.

Last week I tried to open Notepad to work on a txt file. I clicked the Notepad icon in the task bar and Notepad appeared in the task bar but not on the desktop. I tried everything I know of and then searched out the problem online. There are a lot of fix it videos out there and I tried a lot of them with no success. Over the weekend I decided to play one of my games so I switched over to my upper monitor (made it my preferred monitor) because it's the bigger monitor. After I completed the game I happened to click on the txt file by accident and notepad came up on the lower monitor and displayed the file perfectly. However, when I switched back to the lower monitor (again as my preferred monitor) notepad wouldn't open up on the desktop of either monitor. I closed every program but it wasn't on either monitor yet it was in the task bar. I tried I think it was ctrl + M but nothing. I moved the task bar to the upper part of the lower monitor, the bottom of the upper monitor and the top of the upper monitor but notepad never appeared on either monitor. (Just one of those fixes online that is going to rock your world and correct the problem). I finally had to switch back to my preferred monitor on the upper monitor to get it to work. (right click on desktop / Screen Resolution / check mark in make this my main display)

I only use the upper monitor for DVD videos, videos on YouTube ( I can go sit in my recliner to watch them) and to play my games. It's a pain in the neck (literally) to look up at it all the time. I have no idea what is going on. I scanned the system but no viruses, Trojans or malware. Absolutely nothing. I've watched so many "helpful" videos and tried so many things that my brain went on strike. Not sure the strike is over yet either. LOL

Reasons Why: The lower monitor is an LG 24 inch monitor. It's excellent for everyday things but for videos
    and games the upper monitor is much better. 32 inch TCL Roku TV. The top of the lower monitor is at eye level which is great for all the everyday stuff. The bottom of the upper monitor is also at eye level which means I have to constantly look up at it. After a while it causes neck pain.

I really need to get this problem resolved in order to keep my sanity (and stop the neck pain).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Right about now I'm game to try just about anything (within reason).
    I thank you in advance for your time and help. Take care and be safe.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

1. Click on All Programs then Accessories.
    2. Scroll down until you find Notepad.
    3. Right click Notepad and select Send To
    4. In the Send To menu, select Desktop (create shortcut).

3. Rogue-Buster-RJ

Rogue-Buster-RJ Private E-2

Hi plodr,

I tried what you recommended. It did put a notepad icon on the desktop. However, that wasn't the problem. Problem was that when I attempted to open a txt file from Explorer the file wouldn't open. It put a notepad icon in the task bar but didn't open the file on the desktop.

I just went back and read my question. I didn't describe the problem properly so for that I apologize. The issue has been resolved though. Not sure exactly what happened but I changed the the main monitor back to the lower monitor yesterday and for some reason it started working again. I can click on a txt file in Win Explorer and it opens the file as it should. I'm sorry for any confusion this caused. I'll try harder to get the question right the next time.

I thank you for taking the time to respond to my question. Take care and be safe

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds