Hanging at BIOS, please help, I'm in deep sh*t!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by artistsneverdie, Dec 5, 2006.

1. artistsneverdie

artistsneverdie Private E-2

Hi guys,

I'm hoping someone can help shed some light as to why my PC would be hanging at the BIOS screen.

It's worked fine for ages, and had a new processor and motherboard about 6 months ago after the last one got fried, it was running a P4 3.4 Ghz HT on an ABIT Motherboard with 2 Gig of RAM.

I turned it on when I got home, and it hangs on the BIOS screen with the text "Bra" where it used to say "Brand Processor 3.4 Ghz" (I think off the top of my head).

It won't let me into the bios using del, I've tried resetting, powering down and turning back on but nothing works it just sits there looking dumb.

This is my studio PC and I'm a freelance designer so my work schedule is going down the tube fast, as is my income, and I need to get this fixed. If anyone can help that would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Check the cmos battery ....may be dead ...

3. artistsneverdie

artistsneverdie Private E-2

I turned the machine back on this morning and it's now working again.

It brought up a CMOS error, saying "CMOS Checksum Error" press F1 to continue.

Could a new cmos battery sort that out?

4. nitecrawler

nitecrawler Guest

The most common cause of checksum errors in CMOS is a battery that is losing power. Viruses can also affect CMOS settings, and motherboard problems can also affect the stored values.

Do you notice any problems with your system time and date?

http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/sys/booterrGBER08-c.html

5. roj

roj Private E-2

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds