Cannot access my workgroup.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by scorpionplayer, Jan 16, 2007.

1. scorpionplayer

scorpionplayer Private E-2

For the longest time I've been trying to set up a home network using my Netgear 614 wireless router and I cannot seem to get the network up and running. The computers that are on the network can access the internet, but I would like to allow them to share files between them. I've run the networking wizard and for some reason I cannot get one computer to access the workgroup. One computer can view the list of computers on the workgroup, and both computers are on the network, but the other computer cannot view the list.

I normally get a message saying that I do not have enough privileges to access the workgroup, even though I am the administrator of the computer (I am the only user). What am I doing wrong?

2. Valhallis

Valhallis Private First Class

Any software firewalls running? Try disabling them and then try it.

3. NewsFlash

NewsFlash Corporal

Hi. I'm having the same problem and I disabled my firewalls and ran network wizard again and still no go. Can anyone help?

4. DutchMarco

DutchMarco Corporal

I've got the same problem, I can see the computer I want to access in the workgroup, but when I 'open' that computer it says:
    "Computer Name is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The network path was not found."

I saw this at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q308007. Maybe this will help.

All network access to either a Windows XP Home Edition-based computer in a workgroup or to a Windows XP Professional-based computer in a workgroup uses the Guest account. Before you continue troubleshooting, make sure that the Guest account is set up for network access. To do this, follow these steps:
    a. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
    b. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
    net user guest
    c. If the account is active, a line appears in the output of the command that is similar to the following:

Account active Yes

d. If the account is not active, use the following command to give the Guest account network access:
    net user guest /active:yes
    e. The following text returns after the command:

The command completed successfully.

If you receive any other response, make sure that you are logged on as an Administrator, and then confirm that you typed the command correctly before you try again.

5. DutchMarco

DutchMarco Corporal

Some help here please, I need this network to work for school. and I see that many other people have the same problem.

6. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

For interest here is the result of using net user guest on my network, which works flawlessly.

User name Guest
    Full Name
    Comment Built-in account for guest access to the computer/domain
    User's comment
    Country code 000 (System Default)
    Account active Yes
    Account expires Never

Password last set 2/19/2006 8:05 PM
    Password expires Never
    Password changeable 2/19/2006 8:05 PM
    Password required No
    User may change password No

Workstations allowed All
    Logon script
    User profile
    Home directory
    Last logon Never

Logon hours allowed All

Local Group Memberships *Guests
    Global Group memberships *None
    The command completed successfully.

Get one thing working at a time
    Get the network working with the firewall disabled first, then add the firewall.
    Make sure you have TCP/IP 'bound' to the network cards.
    open network connections>lan>properties
    Check you have 'client for microsoft networks available' on the list. If not use the install button to install it (client)
    check that file and printer sharing are ticked
    check that tcp/IP is installed, if not use the install button to install it (protocol)
    highlight the TCP/IP entry>properties Make sure the IP address and DNS are set to automatic.

Studio T

7. DutchMarco

DutchMarco Corporal

I manually set up the TCP and IP address, I don't think that's the problem.

And my User name Guest is just like yours on all the computers in the network

Is there anyone who had the same problem as 'us' and who fixed his problem? any help is appreciated.

8. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

9. nailem

nailem Private E-2

i was having a simular problem. i could not get my new laptop XP to share with my old desk top 98se. i tried everything. all the thins that are stated in this thread ( i did not try what was last posted on the linked thread using regedit) so i downloaded the free version of network magic found on this site and everything connected with in seconds and now works great.

10. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

I've never heard of network magic but I for one am going to have a good look at it.
    That's how we all learn
    Thanks Nailem

Studio T

11. PPRT

PPRT Private E-2

Hi

On the PC that you can't access, try going to Administrative Tools - Local Security Policy and scroll down to: Network Access: Sharing and security model for local accounts.

Right click and select Properties. You've got two choices. Make sure "Guest only - local users authenticate as a Guest" is selected.

Good luck.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds